DAY 34-
Today my day definitely didn't start off well. I always set my alarm for one hour before I have to get up and get the kids. So, today, it was set for 6 a.m. My plans were to crawl back in bed, that way when 7 a.m came around, I was not in such a deep sleep, and it would be easier for me to get up.
Wow, my plans changed fast. I got up to turn off my alarm, it is on my cellphone which was plugged in the master bathroom. I decided I needed to use the restroom, so when I went to wash my hands the hot water was not working. I was like "okay, I will just call this in later when the office opens, and deal with it then, nothing that can be done about it at 6 a.m." So, I went and crawled back into my bed, I was very tired. But, I heard running water. I thought, maybe the kids bathroom toilet is running???? (We have 3 and a half bathrooms, 2 full bathrooms upstairs, a half bath on our lower level, and full bath in the basement). After checking, I realized it was not that. In my half sleepy state, I crawled back in bed. I thought I was imagining things since it was so early. But, the noise would not go away.
So, I decided to crawl out of bed for a third time. I wasn't very happy about this. I started going downstairs, the noise got louder. I checked our half bathroom. Nope, it wasn't that. So I opened the locked basement door, and as I got closer, and closer it sounded like a Water Fall was in my basement. About now I started to freak. I opened the utility room, where our hot water heater, and furnace are. That is where the problem was.
Water was shooting down, somewhere between the amount of running water for a bath tub, and a shower spraying EVERYWHERE in the room from the ceiling.. I was taking a shower as I was trying to figure out where the water shut off was. It was so stinkin' bad, and that is not exaggerating. I ran upstairs to check the garage to see if the water turn off was there. Then I called my parents. They are a few states away, and of course could not help me, but I figured they could help give me ideas where to look.
Today was a reminder, that I don't really have anyone here when problems like this arise. Typically, I would call my parents, and my dad would come over. Not anymore. So, I called my neighbor, 2 times, she didn't answer the phone. (she was sleeping and did call back later shortly after everything was taken care of). I ran across the street to the peoples house, that they use to live here. I figured they might know. They didn't answer their door. I came home called my parents again, took another tour of my house. Decided that I was going to try and call the non-emergency number for the fire department. I know, but I was desperate. I had no one else to call, and a waterfall downstairs. Until I realized, I had one last number (only 2) of people that actually live in our State. Thankfully I called her, she called her dad, called me back and told me to just start turning stuff. That made me a little nervous not knowing what else would happen. But, I did, and it turned most of the way off. Oh, yeah I forgot, that during this time, I got on Facebook, hoping that someone from the area would be on my friends list. But nobody was.
So, it was finally most of the way turned off. I have no clue how long it was going off before I woke up at 6 a.m. Thankfully there was a drain, and most of the water went down that. Some did end up on the basement bathroom floor, and in the office closet. I had to pull our plastic containers out of the closet, for the floor to dry. I didn't do that until tonight though.
After all of this I had to wait until 9 a.m for the office to open. I didn't have an emergency number, but I do now, from their answering machine when I called. Nobody answer either the main number, or the emergency number. I'm afraid how much my next water bill is going to be.
So, I went to Johnathan's Conference that was today. And on the way to the classroom got a call from the people we are renting from. We then set up a time to meet. Then I went into Johnathan's conference in which I found out, just in a couple weeks he is doing great. He is saying more from them, and starting to trace letters instead of the hand over hand practice. I was amazed when the showed me the work my baby did. It may not have been perfect, and all the way on the line, but I could tell it was a K. Then it was time to go home and wait for the pipe downstairs to be fixed.
While waiting, my husband called. I knew this morning that he was going to call me today when he left me a message of facebook. That is also what helped me to get through the situation this morning, knowing I would soon here my hubby's voice after 5 days. I don't know how long we were able to talk, he called my cellphone, and it cut off after awhile. Then he called back on the house phone for a couple minutes to say his goodbyes.
Then our repair man came. Checked out the problem, and had to run to the Home Depot to get a part. I guess after 10 years of doing repairs to different things, he had never seen a part like this. He ended up telling me it was rusty and old, and that is why it decided to split apart in the middle of the morning (or really who knows how long it was like that). So, it was fixed and taken care of.
Then tonight, we had Michael's soccer practice. His practice was cut 20 minutes early because of a storm, that never happened. But that is okay, they have practice again in a couple of days.
So, today was a bad day, because of the inside waterfall, but I made it through that situation, and had a better day when I got to hear my husbands voice. Today was one of those days I needed my husband since I had not clue where the water shut off was. And it made me miss him, but at least I did get to hear his voice.
What would you do if your husband was deployed 4 times and you were left to raise the children for a year at a time? And moved 3 times in 4 years.Could you do it? This is OUR story of how We have survived 4 deployments and 3 moves in 4 years. Come read our Journey and how is is to be an Army Family. Home is where the Army moves us, from here to there to everywhere...
My husband and I
One of the 4 hardest time's of my life...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am an Army Wife, and Proud to be Married to my Soldier
Home is where the Army move's us..... From here, to there and everywhere.
Wowsers! What a horrible day you had, AND you get to deal with three kids on your own on top of all of that.. you are Super Mom :-) Kudos to you for handling it all so well, I'm sure it was a little slice of heaven to talk to hubby after all that. Hopefully you didn't feel too bad about telling him what happened while he's so far away defending our country, and hopefully he wasn't too upset about the fact he couldn't be there to take care of the problem for his wonderful family...you guys are awesome.
ReplyDeleteMy husband is a disabled OIF vet suffering from combat PTSD and TBI. My son is a Royal Marine Commando (I'm originally from the UK) and he is preparing for his fourth deployment. It's so unfair that these soldiers have to keep going back into the arena time and time again. But we owe our freedom to them and I will never stop being eternally grateful for their courage and sacrifice.
Domenica
I hate those kind of emergencies! We had a washing machine mutiny AND a major school emergency in the past 3 days - hubby was here for the first (and made things worse by being a jerk about it) but was not here for the second - he is deploying in a couple weeks, and all I can think of is, 'how the heck am I going to handle this kind of thing when he is GONE?'
ReplyDeleteYesterday hearing his voice on the phone really DID make everything else so much more bearable, but I remember all too well how many crises I had to deal with during the first and second deployments....without the luxury of being able to hear his voice on the phone.
Hang in there, you can totally DO this! :)