My husband and I

My husband and I
One of the 4 hardest time's of my life...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

daddy's kids

As each day passes by before the "D" word happens, it seems like the kids are becoming more and more daddys kids. It is a good, and sad thing. I really don't know if they understand that daddy is leaving soon. Whenever daddy is not here, they kids will go "where is daddy", "when is daddy coming home"? And this is when I can tell them he is only at work, but next week he wont be coming home after work. I try and take this oppourtunity to explain to them daddy is going to be gone for awhile, and you can talk to daddy on the phone, or write him. I have see Elizabeth who is 5, watching daddy as he is eating, or just sitting on the couch. It is almost like she is trying to keep the picture of her daddy in her head. Johnathan who will be turning 3 just a couple days after daddy leaves, has became a daddys boy also. Usually he is mommys boy. When we are in public now, he doesn't want anything to do with me. He will fuss if I grab his hand, and will say "no, want daddy!" The other day in the care I wasn't even doing anything but buckling him up to take the other two kids to school, and he was screaming at me "I want Daddy!"
It just breaks my heart that they have to be with out their dad for a year. I wouldn't know what this would feel like for a child because I was always lucky to have my dad go to work, and then come home. I know it is hard on all three of them and it just makes the "D" word even worse. I think my oldest who will be 8 a couple weeks after my husband is deployed is the only one that can some whatunderstand.He has experience the last three deployments, when he was 11 months, 2, and 4 years. I heard him talking to my husband last night about why he had to deploy. Aww, this whole post is brinnging tears to my eyes thinking about it, it is hard for any of them to understand that daddy is going to fight for our country. Even though we need daddy here also.
In the next couple of days I want to get a picture of the kids with their dad, on their own, and then frame it. I will then put the picture of them with daddy by their bed, so daddy is always there for them. They might not be able to hug, or kiss him while he is gone, but they will have their picture with him, and be able to talk to him on the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Alicia, my heart reaches out to you and the kids (Josh too). I know as adults children understand more than we give them credit for. They just do not know the words to express what they are thinking or feeling. It is good that they are being "daddy's kids". They are creating memories for themselves that will help them through the next year. Actually they are memories that will last them a lifetime. Instead of allowing yourself to feel bad for them, why don't you soak up the memories of them with their dad so when one of them is missing dad, you can help them remember the wonderful memory they did with dad. I think the picture of the kids and Josh is a great idea for each of them to have by their bedside. It would also be nice to have a group picture as a family visible for them to see as well. Take care. Hugs, Aunt Vades

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Vades- The kids are truly daddy's kids and they are going to miss daddy over the next few months. The best thing I can do it enjoy every minute with them until he comes home.

    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete

I am an Army Wife, and Proud to be Married to my Soldier

Home is where the Army move's us..... From here, to there and everywhere.