My husband and I

My husband and I
One of the 4 hardest time's of my life...

Friday, March 19, 2010

24 hours without you...

Day 2- The first 24 hours can be the hardest. It is the adjustment period with out your husband. Not saying that it get's any easier the entire deployment, it does a little, but then it doesn't. The first 24 hours is the realization that wait, he will not be home after work tonight, or for 6 months when he is on his leave.
When I arrived home yesterday after leaving Fort Carson and seeing him for the last time for 6 months, and then coming home to make the kids lunches, and then take them to school. I put on cartoons so Johnathan could watch those while I work on my daily questions, and assignments for the online College Classes I'm taking, or at least that is what I thought I was going to do. I turned on the radio, and I cannot tell you what song it was, or if it had anything to do with anything, but boom, it all hit me at once. My husband was not at work for the day, he would not be home that night, he was gone, and it would be a few months until I saw him again. And of course that was when I started crying and my concentration for my assignments was completely not there. I even stepped outside on the side of the house to confirm this realization, that my husbands truck was still there, parked along side of the house. And the only time it is moving the next few months is if I move it. This truck is like his big baby, so typically he would have it at work every day.
Finally after some time of pulling myself back together her knowing I needed to complete my work, I finished my daily questions and assignments from each of my two classes. Not long after I had finished those it was time for the kids to come home from school. I had my plan, and I was sticking to it. I was not going to be home once the time that he was suppose to be home would come.I was going to avoid it completely. So, the kids and I went to Fort Carson, to the PX to look around, and shopette to get milk. This time going on Fort Carson didn't affect me as much as a couple days before Josh was leaving and I needed to go to the PX, that day I didn't want to be there. I knew my husband was leaving in a couple days, and I just wanted to leave post as soon as possible.
While at the PX the children asked me if we were going to the family night at the school that night. I had completely forgot about it because it was rescheduled from a couple weeks ago when we had snow. I was like yes, thinking another way to avoid being at the lonely house. Michael really didn't want to go, he was missing daddy, but I thought this would be a great thing for all of us.
After leaving the PX we ran home, and thankfully we had leftover hamburgers from the day before when Josh Barbecued because I was able to heat those up add the necessary condiments, and give them chips. After they were done eating it was time for the schools family night. Oh my goodness Johnathan's behavior was horrible, no matter how hard I tried to control him. They had different stations in the classrooms starting out with reading in the library. He wanted to run around, the librarian said Elizabeth was in her reading group, and nicely said, If I need to take Johnathan and let him run around I could. So I did, which didn't really help matters any. I was about to leave, but knew that Elizabeth and Michael were enjoying themselves, and that it was good for them. Soon it was on to Science, Math, Speed stacking of cups, and the their wall in which you climb. On Monday when we went to Michael's Assembly Josh actually asked if they ever used that wall, I wasn't sure, but I soon found out they did. At the end it was cookies and lemonade for all the families, and then we came home. Since it was nearly 8:00 p.m by this time, it was bath time and then bed time for the kids. So I gave the younger two a bath. In the car on the way home Michael asked me, "When am I going to do my homework mom?" I was thinking just great it is nearly 8 p.m, mommy is so ready for a break, even though I didn't tell them that. So, of course he had to come home and do his homework. Which with my luck, he had extra from the day before when he stayed home to spend the day with his daddy. Finally by 8:45 I was able to have him take a bath because he was finished with his homework. We then did our nightly Bible Verse from a sheet that Michael gets at Sunday Service, it has you doing a different verse every night. Then we did our Family Prayer, of course that included watching over family and friends like usual, and then now Praying to keep Daddy Safe, and let him know how much we love him. I usually start, and the Elizabeth will say something, and then Michael, and then we will finish.
Finally it was time for mommy to have time to herself, first off take a shower. When I got out of the shower I noticed a missed call from Josh, but just within a few minutes of missing it he called again. He said they were still in Colorado Springs Airport, and that their flight had been delayed. He would call me again when then got to their next destination. So, we said our goodbyes for now, and I was going to go downstairs and watch a t.v show, then go to bed. That wasn't happening either. Since it was so windy last night, and the flag on the outside was shaking, it was scaring the dog Luke. He thought someone was breaking in. They weren't I checked everything out and it was fine. Great scare for the first night of being alone, so I decided to go upstairs and watch t.v. After that I went to bed, and not long after I feel asleep, I got another call from Josh. He said they had spent the night in Illinois, or I think that is where it was because I was half asleep. So, we said our goodbyes yet again for now. Back to bed.
Then it was morning time. Time to get the kids up and off to school. I didn't want to wake up this morning, I was exhausted. So, we slept in a bit. But still had time for me to take them to school. We were just making it though, where they would be to school right when the bell rang. Then I get a call, it was Josh again. Telling me when they would leave again. He also told me he choked on a piece of steak last night during dinner, scary situation, but thankfully there was someone to help him out. He then told me he would call me again when he gets to where they are going.
I got the kids to school on time, then I went to park. Today was the day that Elizabeth was getting her Award that the Panda Assembly. I took the camera to take pictures. She ended up receiving two awards, one for attendance, and one that is called renaissance, really not sure what that one was. She did good, and stood up there with the group of other kids who had the same award form k, and 1st grade. It reminded me of a class picture with everyone standing together, then they would have a big sign that two kids would hold saying what the award was. Then after announcing all the names parents could get pictures.
When we left this morning it was barely snowing, but leaving the Assembly It was snowing a lot. So, since Elizabeth wore a dress to get her award, I went home got her a change of clothes, and took them back to school. Then Johnathan and I went to Walmart to use his gift card for his Birthday Cake for tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I was going to be snowed in tonight. If you know me pretty well, you know I don't drive in the snow at all. I don't like it. But today, when I was driving in the snow, and it was snowing a lot, a since of calmness came over me, and I was just fine. Made it there and home safely. And that was that, but the time I came home it was around 10:00 a.m, 24 hours exactly after my husband left us for 6 months for his "D" word. As you can tell we tried to stay busy, and will try to continue and stay busy so it doesn't hit us he is gone. As soon as that slow moment comes again, that not much is going on, it will hit us we will not see him for a few months.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! I am going to be going through a deployment soon, however I don't have three kids and this will be our first deployment. I can't wait to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica-Thank you for becoming a follower, glad you found me. If you have any questions feel free to ask. This is our 4th deployment. I have gone from having one child, to a 6 week and 2 year old the next, and the 3rd deployment I found out I was pregnant after my husband left (3 months along when he left), and having a 2, and 4 year old. Good luck with the deployment. I'm here if you need anyone to talk to.

    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete

I am an Army Wife, and Proud to be Married to my Soldier

Home is where the Army move's us..... From here, to there and everywhere.